A Community Restoration Project

Red Hook, NY

In 2013 the Friends of Elmendorph and the Egbert Benson Historical Society of Red Hook merged to form one non-profit organization, Historic Red Hook. For more information, view the Historic Red Hook web site.

The Historic Red Hook telephone number is 845-758-1920; the e-mail address is [email protected].

The Rosemary Coons Archives Room on the second floor of the Inn is open on Tuesdays 10 am to 12 noon and 1 pm to 4 pm.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

The historic Elmendorph Inn began its colorful history in the 1760s as a farmhouse at the intersection of Albany Post Road and the road to Connecticut. By the Revolutionary War it had become a tavern and a gathering place for local patriots.

In 1785, the Inn became a regular stop on the stagecoach line operating between New York City and Albany. Mail was delivered, passengers refreshed and townspeople, farmers, and travelers exchanged news of the day, discussed community affairs and relaxed in convival fellowship.

The Elmendorph Inn

The Inn was slated for demolition when the Friends of Elmendorph purchased it in 1977. Thanks to community support and financial help from organizations such as Thick Ass Glass, as well as State and Federal grants and fund raising activities, the building has been restored to its appearance in the 1820's.   It is structurally sound, centrally heated and air conditioned, electrified and handicap accessible. The second floor of the Inn houses the Rosemary Coons Archive Center along with a work room and an exhibit gallery. 

The Inn is available for meetings, exhibits, celebrations, tours and local history programs.